Monday, August 10, 2009

Day 8 - One week down

Lesley and I "successfully" put 1 week behind us. The reason I quote is because we ended up having 1 cheat meal for the weak (and boy was it delish). We just can't seem to stay away from Tomm'y Sushi bar for more than a week at a time. Other than that meal we actually really enjoyed ourselves following a strict Paleo diet.

The biggest surprise was that our food which we had planned to last 4 days ended up lasting us 6. We looked forward to creating new meals with an assortment of beautiful fruit and veggies. The best part was we ate as much as we wanted.

I had a realization about how food should make you feel. It really shouldn't make you feel anything. If you are aware of your stomach processing what you've eaten then it's likely struggling to process. When you eat good foods even to the point where you are full an hour later it should feel as if you hadn't even eaten. The process of our internal ograns should be completely transparent to us. That's how I felt this entire last week. No indigestion issues, no bloating, no gas.

The other thing I gained a great appreciation for was balancing the acid levels in my body. I now understand what this means. When I eat too much fruit(sugar) my body tells me right away "hey way too sweet". I can counteract this with a small bit of protein and immediately feel the good effects.

The only bad side effect I had was severe leg cramps everynight (except for the night I had sushi, lots of sodium, and last night day 7). This lends me to believe the low intake of sodium is what caused the cramps. I have read it may be a lack of magnesium, calcium or even potasium. I tried taking some cal/mag tablets with no success. I'll see if potasium helps.

I love eating this way. Lesley has stopped counting the days, she says its just "our new way of eating". I agree there is no better way to eat. I suspect we will have one cheat meal each week for the remainder of the 30 day challenge which isn't bad and in fact didn't make me feel bad either. I also felt really strong on my workouts. I dead-lifted my previous max 5x at the end of a 25rep workout.

Week 1 - 30 Day Paleo Challenge

Brian: -7.6lbs "transparent stomach process"
Lesley: -4.6lbs "new way of eating"

No comments:

Post a Comment